Monday 2 February 2009

The other side....


Well hello,

Last night I tried to post a blog about this really silly thing my mom took me too where a bunch of white people in dirty skirts and dreadlocks sang nonsensical things and it made me mad, but the computer at their house crashed as I was sending and I don't have the energy today to rehash the whole thing. So onto the next....

I think the reason it is so amazing here is that this little town of Tiruvinamalai has so many people crammed into tiny spaces, they work tirelessly for many, many hours of the day, they are often dirty and sleepy, but they are so happy. They are happy to work and to have purpose. They are happy to contribute and take care of their families. They are happy to be alive. Well, mostly. The other day Rajan, my Mom's "man-servant"(her words, not mine. And she says it affectionately) told me that a friend of his from school killed himself that day. He said that his wife left him to go to Chennai, the big city, and he didn't want to live anymore. Apparently this happens all the time here. When I asked why it was explained to me that the people here don't see life the same way that we do. If we did a bad thing, or it just wasn't working out, you kill yourself and start over. Hopefully you would be a person, or better yet, a cow. If you were bad though, you would have to start all over as a teeny tiny little bug and work your way up to a human eventually. How amazing and eye opening. For me, I say I'm going to kill myself all the time. For instance, I was standing in a really obnoxiously long line the other day to pay for my food, and I turned to my boyfriend I uttered how this line need to really speed it up or else I was gonna kill myself to clear the line for him. Another time that comes to mind was when I was trying on dresses for an event coming up and there were no more size 4's left on the floor. The sales woman said she would go check in the back. I commented that if she didn't have a size 4 I wouldn't try the size 6 in case it fit and I would have to kill myself. Now don't get me wrong, these are all good reasons to kill yourself, but I would never do it. That would be waaaayyyyy too dramatic. Here they are all about the drama.

The food here is fantastic. Also equally as fantastic, the diarrhea. I have had a little bit of trouble in the tummy and butt department here, but nothing to slow me down. Besides, I feel really skinny after having diarrhea, so it's fine. Seriously though, the food here is some of best food I have ever had in my whole life. It's wonderful. So many different tastes. Ugh, I love it here!

I almost killed myself(not on purpose this time or for attention) on the way to this Internet cafe today. The traffic was really bad and a bus almost ran me right off the road. I instinctually yelled out 'Asshole!", but the driver just waved. Just like New York!

Oh you! I go to a resort tomorrow with my Momma to a place called Pondicherry. It's supposed to be really amazing. It's run by the French and they have a French quarter where you can eat beef. However it has been recommended by my folks to not eat the beef here, as it's sorta nasty. We'll see. Apparently you can get a mean cosmo there, and I wouldn't mind a little nip.

Okay, I gotta go. My rupees are running out on this computer. I'll give you a post in the next couple of days. If I don't kill myself first because I run out of toilet paper or something.

Namaste!

A to the Jaye

2 comments:

  1. gahhh! where in the world is Doozie Doozerton? I am going to Chicago for a while, "talk" to you next week

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had fun reading your blog :P . . don't ask me who I am!!!

    ReplyDelete