Tuesday 27 January 2009

Today is the day....


Hi ya,

Tonight is the night. I'm going to India. For those of you who know me already, this is even a bigger deal than it may be for some because, well, I'm what you call a mani-pedi type of gal. I live in Manhattan, I'm a Sex and the City tour guide, I just bought a pair of Manolo's at 65 percent off and cried a little bit...you get the picture.

Why, you may be asking yourself, would a self proclaimed mani-pedi type of gal be going to India in the first place? Thank you for asking. To visit my Mom. My Mother moved there about a year ago, and it is my duty to go visit, and not to mention, have a life changing experience. The most interesting thing about me telling people that I'm going to India is that a lot of them ask me right off the bat if my Mother is Indian. Um, no. Look at me. No, my Mother moved to India because she went there on her honeymoon a few years ago and decided it would be a great place to retire. Yup. I'm not going to say I was happy about her move to India, because I wasn't. I'm fairly certain I uttered the phrases "what the f#!k?" And "this is bull$%#!" many, many times. However it is true that very soon I will be turning 30, which means I am an actual adult, which means.....I have to be happy for my Mom's happiness. And I am. What?! I am! And frankly it's better than her retiring to some weird little town in the middle of the country where the Target is considered the mall and sushi is considered a California Roll. I can say that, I used to live in a place like that.
Anyway, I'll be gone for a couple of weeks.
Now listen, don't think I'm some spoiled little snot who doesn't think she can survive without her double latte frappachino made with skim at 140 degrees. That's not the case at all. I don't even like coffee. And I have traveled quite a bit. I'm nervous about being away from my life. I don't vacation very much because I like to work and be a part of the city. It's also that I haven't ever had to go someplace where I had to have several needles poked into me to prevent some sort of terrible, ancient disease. The doctor who was giving me the shots was going over each one telling me the benefits of the inoculations. Hep A shot-in case you eat something that was prepared by a person who hasn't washed there hands in quite a while. Oh, you mean someone who has poop on their hands? Good, good. Hep B, in case you plan on having sex with someone who is native to this country, or if you get in a horrible accident, say, while on a motorcycle, and you need a blood transfusion. Good...good. Yellow fever, Polio(you don't want to be the last case of Polio in the Unites States do you? the doctor asked me. No, I don't think I do.), rabies, in case I come in contact with an animal who has it, like a monkey, and my favorite, Typhoid. I said yes to all of these shots, except for the Hep B. No, I don't plan on having sex with a stranger while I'm there, my college days have passed(sigh), and hopefully if I get in a horrible accident while say, on a motorcycle, I will be wearing my leathers. Oh wait, no, I won't get on a f#@!ing motorcycle while I'm there. Crisis #37, averted.
The typhoid was my favorite, because it was an oral vaccine, which meant I had to keep it refrigerated and every other day for 8 days I had to take this medication. It made me so sick that I threw up the pills every single time I had to take them. I will let you guess at whether I fished them out and rinsed them off to re-take them. No judgments. The best part of the typhoid vaccine is that it's only 62% effective. Sweet.
Mostly I am very glad to have an opportunity to explore the world and to see my Mom. This is a once in a lifetime experience that I'm going to have.
I will keep this updated as much as possible with pictures and if I can, video.

Lots of love,

Amy

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Diva, BON VOYAGE! And to think, this all happening to the girl who thinks wearing flats constitutes "roughing it". I am so excited for all of your adventures and can't wait to hear about your bowel stability! I think you should do one more entry before you go simply to explain the contents of your suitcase...8 cans of family size tuna anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, is it normal you have only been gone like, 15 hours and I keep clicking refresh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the picture
    -jester

    ReplyDelete